Sunday, March 11, 2007

Computer Using Educators


I forgot to mention this; Last weekend I was in Palm Springs presenting at the Computer Using Educators conference.
I presented a 3 hour class on using digital ca,eras in the classroom, which i've done for a few years now. I also presented a NEW idea I've had: "Staff Development That Doesn't Suck". Most teacher professional development is painful.
Anyhow, PS was good. My family came along and played in the pool while I yakked.
I still have to submitt my per diem stuff and I am not looking forward to that talk with my boss..."yes, boss, I did spend my daily $15 on dinner. Yes, the whole $15, no the beer on the reciept is not mine..."
Next year, i plan to expand my talk to 2 hours. I focused mostly on planning and I want to look at better presentation skills and classroom stuff.
We'll see.

Thanks to the cicus hall of fame for the cool photo!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You need to come speak to the Douglas County Educational district.

Tina said...

Yes.. Please.

I actually DO have the digital camera to use in our Program for the Orthopedically Impaired classroom. We are a self-contained classroom at a "regular" school. Our kids share music, recess, morning routines, etc. with the typical kids.

However, the camera I have to use is a Canon Sure Shot. I like my Kodak EasyShare SOOO much more!

The Canon program won't talk to my HP printer (?) so I have to copy & paste all the images over to MS Publisher. I requested Photoshop (even an old copy!) but the Education Services District won't pay for us to have that, and I can't load my personal program on their computer.

The best I can do with the Canon is crop photos. I can't fix red-eye, or do much else.

When you expand - be sure to stress the importance of editing!

ronnwaters said...

Tina
Google has a great FREE program called Picasa. It's PC only and it does a good job of editing photos. I wish it had a mac version as it is better than iphoto for fine editing. I'll send you my hand out for it.
Also, instead of PS--get Photoshop elements. It's about $75.00 education pricing. I'll call my supplier and see what kind of price he can get me.
Tell your boss that a "new" camera is needed because you want to be able to document portions of the student's IEPs for state compliance.
Digi cameras would be a great way for your kids to illustrait any writting they do. They can also use it to tell stories without writting. For some, just putting their own photos in order is a good project. contact me off-blog.
r

ronnwaters said...

Lee
only if I can crash at your place

Unknown said...

I figured that was a given. But, just to be formal.

You and your family have an open invite.

La Bonne Histoire du Petit Chat qui avait Faim

https://www.thetoymaker.com/Stories/2spootale/01spoo.html This is an old school assignment I am fond of.  It's a spoof of Ianesco...