Sunday, November 29, 2009

One step forward, two steps back....

One of the reasons I like building guitars is that I am "learning" patience. Sure.
This is something I have struggled with all of my life. For me the alphabet goes A..B..C..Z! Screw the stuff in between.
That nifty rosette in the last post got buggered up because I was sanding with the R/O sander and tore out the purfling. Trying to fix it made it worse. So, I have a new cedar sound board arriving soon....
Oh well.
Then again, work on the 12 string is progressing.



I used the LMI rosette cutter to make a nice ring out of Koa. Circles are so much easier than Ds. Not as cool, mind you. I need a better D-hole template for the NEXT sel-Mac...



After cutting a channel and routing it out, I flooded it with CA glue. The redwood really soaks it up. Then GENTLY
it down and there it is!



The back and top are now braced and ready to go. I still have to bend the sides, but I'm pleased with the progress so far.

I thought the cleats would look cooler than a big graft strip on the back. Hopefully they are wide enough to provide the support....


The reason for the gap between the 1st and 2nd back brace is because I'll make a plate the same shape as the logo sticker and glue that down. That will act as a large cleat as well.




For the last few weeks, our older cat Neemo has been trying to sit on my lap when I practice. Last week, he climbed up between my stomach and the guitar and took a nap.



I've been trying to be more diligent about practicing. Cat not withstanding. I'm polishing up Erik Satie's Gymnopedie #1, which one of my favorite pieces. We also started working on a Shadowy Man piece called "Egypt, Texas" (a cool surf piece) and "Sweet Child o' mine". Go figure. My teacher, Mark is a guitar-god.

1 comment:

Thetoymakers said...

Mark is a guitar god. And can't wait to play my guitar when you get it finished!

La Bonne Histoire du Petit Chat qui avait Faim

https://www.thetoymaker.com/Stories/2spootale/01spoo.html This is an old school assignment I am fond of.  It's a spoof of Ianesco...